Savannah's Story

Posted by Michelle Finn on

Savannah’s Story written by her Mom, Kendra


When I found out I was pregnant with my first born I was excited. We were having a little girl, Seven months later I had to be admitted to the hospital the OBGYN said I had preeclampsia. The OB told me I had two choices I could deliver by cesarean now or wait; either way there is a chance that one or both of us will not survive. It was a no brainer for me. I was going to have a baby girl the next day; on 4/18/14. There was still that risk of us dying, though. I told him to save my baby girl if it came down to it. At 11:30am the next day Savannah Rae Calvert was born 4lbs and 1oz and 17 inches long. I held her for 2 seconds before they rushed her to the NICU.

Savannah would then spend the next month in the NICU of the hospital. I was only able to get her out of her incubator when she had to be fed through a feeding tube. She had problems breathing for three weeks; while trying to eat. The nurses joked with us to try and lighten the mood saying she wants to take the lazy way and feed through the tube. It was a joyous day when Savannah was finally able to get out of her incubator and into a big crib. That meant it was one step closer to coming home. I loved to be able to hold her longer than the length of a her meals.

She left the hospital two months later, but it was short lived. Two days after she received her shots she was shaking all and wasn't responsive at all. I tried shaking her out of it but it didn’t help. I started freaking out and I recorded Savannah going through it so I could time it and ask my family what was going on. I had no clue that while watching her that my little baby girl was having seizures. She wasn’t even home for a week and we were headed back to the hospital for another week’s stay. Looking back now we joke saying she just wanted to see all her nurses, she missed them. A lot of tests were run bloodwork, an MRI, and a Cat scan. A week later and we still had no answers, but my baby was coming home with medicine to prevent seizures.

Months go by and the seizures continue. Sometimes she would have grand mal seizures and stop breathing for what looked like 7 or 8 minutes. Nothing helped her. All you could do is feel helpless; looking on just talking to and holding her to let her know your there. She was a year and a half old when we finally got some answers; Savannah was diagnosed with 1p36 deletion syndrome. We had a diagnosis now we could try and help her better.

My family doesn’t act like Savannah is any different from anybody else. We never tell her you can't do this; it’s only you can do this, I just need to help. Savannah is now 3 years old. She started crawling at the end of July. Today, she can walk a couple feet with assistance. She's my little fighter. She cried like a little kitten and we were not sure if she'll make it and now, she is a beautiful 3 year old little girl. She's a great big sister and is constantly progressing and consistently moving forward,

Don't forget our fundraiser for 1p36dsa. 25% of the profits from ALL the sales this month will be donated to Shop For an Amazing Cause.
Just click on the home or catalog button above to shop.




Share this post

← Older Post Newer Post →

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.